It’s often said that when one door closes another door opens, and that’s certainly been the case for SaRatta Reeves Murphy, founder of Expressions Bracelets. She’s an entrepreneur, motivational speaker, and professional coach.
Recently, I was able to catch up with her to ask this busy lady some questions about her businesses. Here’s how that went.
Interview with SaRatta Reeves Murphy
Ronda Bowen (RB): How did you come to run Expressions Bracelets?
SaRatta Reeves Murphy (SRM): I was laid off my corporate job in 2010 and by the end of 2011, my side hustle, the speaking company I was contracting with, was slowly dissolving. I was in need of another stream if income and was considering entrepreneurship.In the fall of 2011, three things happened that led to the launch of my beaded bracelet company, Expressions Bracelets:
- I created blue beaded bracelets for my family. This was the first time I had ever created jewelry. My niece, Storm, is autistic, and we wore them during a local Autism awareness walk.
- While in NYC for a speaking engagement, I happened upon a billboard of two women wearing wrists full of beautiful beaded bracelets in Time Square. Later that night I discovered the women in the billboard picture actually owned the company. It was a beaded bracelet company called Honesty Bracelets.
- After doing some research on starting an accessory business, and at the encouragement of my boyfriend (now husband), I created a line of beaded bracelets to list on Etsy.com January 2012, expressions bracelets launched on Etsy and with pure hustle and grind I was able to be a full time entrepreneur within 6 months.
RB: What inspired you to start the business? Seeing those two women of color on the billboard, just selling bracelets, inspired me to take the leap.
SRM: Seeing those two women of color on the billboard, just selling bracelets, inspired me to take the leap.
RB: What has been your biggest “win” with your company?
SRM: There are so many things that I could list, big and small that I am just amazed that I have been able to do with this company. But the biggest win of all is being able to continue to create jewelry for women across the world for the last (almost) 7 years.
RB: Can you talk about SaRatta Speaks and what you do and talk about with that business?
SRM: SaRatta Speaks is an online business coaching site designed with women in mind.
On March 1, 2019 I will launch several online classes for women seeking to build an empire like a boss. Some of the topics will be:
- How to launch a business in 30/60/90 days
- Running an Online Business
- Social Media Marketing
- Hustle and Health Balance
RB: What do you think is the most important thing for female entrepreneurs to keep in mind?
SRM: Nothing great is built in a day. Plan and then execute one step at a time.
RB: What causes do you support?
SRM: Autism Awareness and Female Entrepreneurship
RB: You’re obviously quite busy. What do you do to maintain balance in your life?
SRM: Prayer, meditation and date nights with my husband.
Be sure to check out Expressions Bracelets website and the Expressions Bracelets Etsy store. To learn more about SaRatta, and to keep up with what she’s doing, you can follow her on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.